Eyes Wide Open - 100 Years of Leica Photography

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eyes Wide Open - 100 Years of Leica Photography
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:21 pm 

An excellent write-up on the recently published "Eyes Wide Open - 100 Years of Leica Photography" was made available in the LVL feeds, so I won't reiterate what many LVLrs may have already read. I do have one comment to add:

The book stank. :shock:

There seems to be a tendency among certain book printing houses to use inks which contain something that smells quite unpleasant. "Eyes Wide Open" is a very large book, and every time I opened it the broad pages released a penetrating odor so that I could hardly wait to close it. As an oil painter, I'm careful about using VOCs (volatile organic compounds) which may pose health hazards, such as turpentine and other solvents. So when I open a book and experience a strong ink smell, I have to wonder what's being released into the air and my lungs. I'm under the impression that European governmental regulations address the use of VOCs in various manufacturing processes (the book was printed in Germany), so perhaps I'm reacting to the odor of some VOC substitute.

Anyway, except for the odor, I was generally pleased with the book, which I think added some interesting perspectives on the history of photojournalism and of amateur photography.

Has anyone else noticed/been disturbed by the odor of new photo books, and magazines, particularly those printed in Europe?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.